Have you thought about why you should comply with the GDPR and Data Protection Act 2018 (DPA 2018) and what it might look like in your organisation? Read on to find out the benefits of compliance and what steps you can take to start your journey.
Since May 2018, the GDPR and the DPA 2018 has governed Data Protection in the UK. We had been under a grace period when the ICO allowed organisations to understand their obligations, but that ended on 25 May 2018.
It’s sometimes easy to think that if you are a small company, you might slip ‘under the radar’. As far as we know, the ICO aren’t making spot checks on organisations at the moment, although if there is a complaint against you from a customer or member of staff, the ICO may well come and investigate your processes and policies.
Why should you comply?
- Firstly, it’s the law and you are under an obligation to comply with Data Protection legislation
- It’s good for business and will build trust with your customers and members of staff.
- Not complying risks your reputation and a fine from the ICO.
How can you make a start?
- Start with mapping out what personal data you process (this will include staff, customers, suppliers and anyone else you come into contact with)
- Ensure you have the correct Privacy Notices in place for customers, staff and prospective staff.
- Understand how Personal Data flows in your organisation and ensure it’s secure (whether it’s digital or paper)
The GDPR and DPA 2018 set down the rules and requirements which organisations are expected to follow. The ICO aren’t expecting you to be perfect, but for the sake of your customers, staff and your own reputation, it’s wise to start your journey so that you can prove that you take Data Protection seriously.
What can I do next?
Why not check out the GDPR document suite package so you have covered your bases!
CloudLegal also offers consultant-led GDPR support, audits and consultancy for complete peace of mind.
To receive a quote for consultant-led GDPR support, fill in and submit the form found at: https://cloudlegalsupport.com/gdpr-solutions-data-protection-compliance-questionnaire/
Let us know if we can help you!
Author: Yvonne Morris
CloudLegal is a tech-enabled legal support consultancy which promises practical commercial and jargon-free advice. We support all company matters, commercial contracts/ Ts & Cs (including software and IT), employment & HR as well as data protection matters. We have various services including:
- our LawChat service which is a convenient way to speak to a legal expert;
- our suite of key Legal Templates available for pre-order purchase;
- our comprehensive Document CheckUp service for our templates;
- a free Request-a-Quote service for custom services from our in-house legal experts (and partner lawyers/ law firms);
- Last but not least, we offer a LawChat Legal Support Packages for business customers who need affordable, convenient and regular legal support. Areas include company setup, commercial contracts/ terms and conditions, intellectual property, data protection services and more. We also offer GDPR Support Packages in addition to Employment Support Packages.